Treasurer Role Description
Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
The Treasurer of Feniks will:
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing limits
- Purchasing systems
- Petty cash/ float
- Salary payments
- PAYE and NI payments
- Others as appropriate
- Ensure that funding received for specific purposes is separately accounted for and spent for the purposes for which it was given.
- Ensure that all income due to the charity is received and that all tax benefits are obtained and all rating relief due is claimed.
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with an independent examiner.
- Undertake bookkeeping duties and oversee the finance volunteer ensuring posting and bookkeeping is kept up-to-date.
- Maintain the petty cash system and regularly process petty cash claims.
- Regularly carry out reconciliations.
- Arrange payments to staff, contractors, reimbursements and creditors as appropriate and arrange appropriate signatures on payments.
- Make the necessary arrangements to collect payments from debtors and bank payments promptly.
The Treasurer will be expected to contribute around between 2-3 working days per month (approximately 3-5 hours a week, as required) to the organisation, including board meetings (approximately one per month). A minimum commitment of two years would be preferable.
The Treasurer is a voluntary position, although reasonable travelling expenses can be refunded.
- These are the competencies that we expect the Treasurer of Feniks to possess.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management and/or ability to introduce the functioning system.
- Knowledge and experience of current finance practice and fundraising relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as part of the Board to further the organisation’s aims.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Competent computer user and able to communicate regularly by email.
- Able to exercise independent judgement and take reasonable care, skill and diligence in their role on the Board.
- Willing and able to fulfil the legal duties of a Company director as set out in the Companies Act 2006, and the legal duties of a Charity Trustee.
- Fluency in Polish would be an additional advantage.
For informal enquiries about this post, please contact Feniks at 07510 122 425 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is 12pm on Monday, 18th February 2019